To be a truly great project manager you need to know how to deliver projects that meet or exceed your client’s expectations, but that’s only a percentage of the success equation. A leading edge virtual project manager must possess these 9 ‘must have’ skills (not listed in any particular order):
1. Enthusiasm/Passion – A virtual project manager must be passionate about the project but also about being a the best project manager out there
2. Energy – Project Management can be a tiring job…especially a virtual PM.
3. Superior Inter-personal Skills – you need to know when to listen, when to control and when to keep quiet.
4. Commitment to Excellence – everything you to and touch must be perceived to be an exceptional delivery of the best possible project solution.
5. Commitment to success – you must commit to the meeting defined timelines of the project to exceed your client expectations.
6. Remember your sense of humour – this will go a long way with getting you through many seemingly tough situations………….
7. Ability to motivate – your team, yourself and your clients. As a virtual PM you are responsible for the environment that allows your team to deliver their best!
8. Self-motivation – Need we say more? If you can’t motivate yourself how can you possibly motivate a dynamic, ever-changing team!
9. Excellent communication skills – we’ve discussed this before, but it’s worth repeating – you have to have the capability to listen to your client’s needs……………and convert them into clear project requirements for your team to deliver.
Ok, so there’s a few more than 9 ‘must have’ skills ………..
You also need to be honest, a good negotiator (you’ll need to get to a win/win in almost all scenarios), and you have to be approachable and available.
Does this sound like you or do you want to be this person?
Learn more about our Painless Project Management program…………..become the Virtual Project Manager that every online professional wants to connect with!